Yellow 06 Butter Cupcakes (page 295) – real orange silk meringue buttercream

the quickest method to revive frozen burnt orange silk meringue buttercream, made november 2009, is to add high quality orange oil.  use the quantity indicated on the manufacturer’s label.  this topped perfectly on ROSE’S heavenly CAKES: Yellow Butter Cupcakes (page 295), completed pictures posting tomorrow!

the aroma and taste was so intense, that i felt orange food coloring was completely unnecessary.  make this as soon as you can.

10 thoughts on “Yellow 06 Butter Cupcakes (page 295) – real orange silk meringue buttercream

Oh my, you might convince me yet to get those boyajian oil. I saw the package with the 3 oil (orange, lemon, and lime) the other day at one of the kitchen stores here. I was hesitating to get it because they expire in less than a year – I won’t use them very often so most will go to waste. But my curiosity might get the better of me though, I am so curious about the improvement in flavor as you said.

J, it is well documented on rhc that Boyajian’s lemon and orange oils are great. I find them inexpenaive, too. I keep mine’s in the fridge and I think the expiration date is just stamped for sale regulations, everything food related in the USA that doesnt contain sufficient alcohol needs a dated date, I think they don’t expire really.

Thanks Hector! I suppose one should use own judgement – if it still taste and smell ok it probably is :). Thanks for the response, I will go get one (it is inexpensive, $10 for the 3 small bottles).

Orange an lemon oils shd not be measured in plastic measuring spoons, is it? Din’t think of that aspect. Does it apply for other extracts too, like vanilla, almond etc…or is it only for the Orange/Lemon oils?

S, I believe these r available only in sets and via restaurant supply wholesalers only. I would gather a few friends and split a set.

S, as far as I know, just the oils stain. On this case, the orange (or lemon) oils. Vanilla extract is mostly alcohol an had never stained my plastic meassuring spoons. Creme of tartar is an acid and indeed it chips plastic spoons if not rinsed within reassonable period of time.

I didn’t know that about cream of tartar as well. I use stainless steel measuring spoon. I think it’s the safest to use – also because it does not absorb odor/flavor.

creme of tartar is very acidic, it can also chip stainless steel spoons! all you need to do, for either plastic or steel spoons, is throw the spoon in a cup of water or gently run them under tap water, so the left creme of tartar gets diluted.