Yellow 07 Butter Cupcakes (page 295) – the perfect cupcake

here are ROSE’S heavenly CAKES: Yellow Butter Cupcakes (page 295) with burnt orange silk meringue buttercream, completed.

20 years in the making, i think these are the perfect all american yellow cup-cakes.  moist, tender, not overly sweet, and tasty.

18 thoughts on “Yellow 07 Butter Cupcakes (page 295) – the perfect cupcake

1. Julie says:

Hector, they are so beautiful!

Your swirls are just perfect, and I know how tasty that buttercream is, the caramel variations for the silk meringue are wonderful- my all-time favorite buttercreams.

J, thx. I adore the caramel smbc, too, specially on the copper topper cake.

Swirls made with polycarbonate piping tips, plain star, very large.

H, does the yellow butter cupcake has enough flavor? I always feel they would be plain by itself. Though I’m sure the orange SMBC does wonders to add flavor though.

Jenn, bake then as soon as you can. I love them plain, too. The sourcream ingredient in the batter punches flavor!

J, think golden lemon almond cake, le sucses, golden dream wedding, lemon poppy seed, grand marnier wedding, etc

Were all these cupcakes baked with the unglazed quarry tiles placed above and below..is that one of the reasons for the even rise for both the butter and chocolate cup cakes?

H, just got the boyajian oil pack. I made the yellow butter cupcakes with orange flower neoclassic buttercream. Was going to make the SMBC but forgot to get orange juice. The orange oil is truly amazing, it is so aromatic and combined with the orange flower water it created an awesome buttercream. Brought 14 cupcakes to work today, they were gone in 2 hours. Comments received were: the frosting tasted like custard, it’s not too sweet at all, it’s really good, what’s in the frosting?, it smells so good.

J, thx for reporting such spectacular accounts. i agree, the boyajian adds so much more dimension, and what great idea to compliment orange flower water. and YES, the SMBC is custardy and that is a compliment.

btw, i have a hard time saying that the SMBC or the mousseline are “buttercreams.” most people think of buttercreams as something very nasty.

H, to clarify, I ended up making neoclassic buttercream (not SMBC). Yesterday after I added the orange flower water and orange oil, the bc smells so aromatic that it’s almost too much. And I was afraid that people are going to be turned off by the smell. But by today the smell is less strong.

I used to think buttercream are nasty, until I tried Rose’s recipe. Now I hardly ever buy dessert/pastries, I’d prefer to make them. They are soo much better.

Today when I presented my cupcakes, someone asked me if it’s healthier than the store bought cupcakes that someone brought in last week. I replied by saying I think it’s pretty healthy and it does not use any artificial coloring.

oh, yes, the neoclassic is even more custardy. thx. for the clarification.

be sure to use only drops of boyajian, to taste if you don’t have a recipe. it is strong, and moderation is the key.

My blue polycarbonate tips are by Thermohauser, made in France, sold in Germany. Try contacting your local restaurant equipment dealer that carries this brand and ask for the tips be special ordered. Thermohauser piping bags are very popular and chances are you local restaurant supply dealer has access to the entire brand.