Golden 03 Lemon Almond Cake (page 37) – turtle master baker

for ROSE’S heavenly CAKES: Golden Lemon Almond Cake (page 37), i spent monday night measuring dry ingredients, tuesday night measuring liquid ingredients, wednesday night baking.  ok, monday and tuesday nights were merely a few minutes, mostly reading and researching about ingredient vendors, sources, history, etc.  however, wednesday night was a few hours!  from 10 pm till 2 am overnight and a 7 am piping session.

call me a turtle master baker… and this is what a turtle master baker can do:

said about the cake:  awesome flavor, inviting, the best, ….. very….. very….. good….., perfect crumb and texture, tender but not falling apart, lemony tangy, deep golden crust, crunchy crust with the sprinkles of turbinado sugar.
the cake, together with my friends kathy, jayboy, craig1 and craig2 were sent to Luca via a 45 minute airplane ride.  several days later, i started to hear their individual reviews about the cake.  it isn’t all cakes when i hear reviews said 5 different ways by 5 different people, but all meaning the same.  i am deeply convinced Rose has good reasons to claim this Golden Lemon Almond Cake “the best non-chocolate cake in the book.”

ultimately, if you have the opportunity to experience the wedding cake version (page 397), i am certain you will feel in heaven, as i titled the wedding cake Golden Dream in Heaven:

14 thoughts on “Golden 03 Lemon Almond Cake (page 37) – turtle master baker

H, what is the frosting? I don’t think there’s any frosting for this recipe. Love how you decorate it, and again, love love love how defined those swirls look like with the polycarbonate tip!
    Oh and is that a 6 cup bundt pan?

J, thx! I used the white chocolate lemon buttercream from woody’s lemon luxury cake, without the lemon curd. J know it works because it is the same buttercream for the wedding cake version. This is a 10 cup.

And YES, what great piping definition with these tips !

2. Hi Hector…like Jenn I love those puffs and the way you have sugared it.
    I don’t see the polycarbonate tips in your Amazon store. Could you share your source? I haven’t been able to find them.
    I have a question, and it is interesting that I have been trying to find it on your site, only to come upon part of it here today when I needed it.
    One time I thought you said that you were really assisted by setting up the night before etc. And t makes it easier for me too. You mixed your dry ingredients, etc. Now is my question: did I recall correctly that you did not mix the baking powder in at that time, but something like keeping it in a freezer? This morning my pistachio cake sank in the middle and I thought perhaps mixing the baking powder in the dry ingredients last night had caused that? Thanks as always, j

blue polycarbonate piping tips are Thermohauser brand. not available thru retailers. here is their website, and they list a few restaurant suppliers, i would start there http://www.thermo-us.com/Products/index.htm

baking powder remains active if it remains dry. i do mix the baking powder when i prep ahead of time, together with the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, etc. whisk and keep airtight or reasonably airtight.

• Jenn says:

I covet the polycarbonate tips. I was just thinking about asking where you got it from. Joan beat me to it :).
        They are expensive but oh so tempting. Is it a correct statement that they’re the best tips out there (once you have it you don’t need any other ones?).
        H, have you tried the other tips (the round, basketweave, and leaf tips)? I wonder what the result look like. Are they as defined and wonderful as the star one?

J, check my miette tomboy posting where I’ve done the most with these polycarbonate tips. My set is 24 tips, half plain round and half open star, except one basket weave and one that seems for leaf.

I recently made ladyfingers and used my ateco large plain round tip. 3/4 inch.

• Julie says:

Joan, the polycarbonate tips are only sold as a large-ish set, and the retail is in the ballpark of $100. Tempting, still…

I also set up ingredients a day ahead, and I’ve sometimes wondered if having brown sugar mixed in with the dry ingredients, including baking powder, might allow enough of the powder to react to have an effect on the cake. I don’t know if it’s necessary, but I whisk the sugar with the flour, then add the other dry ingredients and whisk again (much like Rose does in the Bread Bible to protect yeast from salt).

Whisking helps as the baking powder is dispersed and coated with flour thus protected and never in extreme contact with just one ingredient that may do harm, been air, sugar, or perhaps salt. It is a trick I assumed from baking breads with granulated insyant yeast where the yeast is whisked with flour to avoid direct contact with salt.

I do not think baking powder is affected by salt btw.

Thanks H! I did a google search earlier for “polycarbonate piping tips.” You’d be happy to know that your miette tomboy’s posting came up as one of the results.

4. Julie says:

Hector, I was thinking of the baking powder coming into contact with the brown sugar, rather than the salt. I whisk brown sugar with the flour first, then add the other dry ingredients.

J, thx for the tips. if it helps to generalize, whisk as you go, and measure/add the ingredients in the order listed on the recipe.