ROSE’S heavenly CAKES: Coffee Chiffonlets with Dulce de Leche Whipped  Cream (page 334) uses dulce de leche as a flavoring and as a stabilizer (delays whipped cream from watering down).

there are several methods to stabilize whipped cream (see page 444).  i have an additional method on my lab bench.  i’ve been observing japanese chefs whip cream in 2-steps, obtaining a whipped cream that lasts up to 4 hours at room temperature, 7 days refrigerated, or months frozen:

with a mixer bowl that is at room temperature or warm, whip cold cream till soft peaks.

refrigerate overnight (whipped cream and bowl).  then, whip till stiff peaks.  here is one proof of good whipped and good stabilized whipping cream (these results may be exaggerated, since this whipped cream contains dulce de leche):

note:  i prefer to finish whipping by hand with a balloon whisk, so it is easier to determine the desired level of smoothness or stiffness.  also, finishing whipping cream by hand has less chances for over-whipping and turn the cream into butter.

hint:  if you are storing your mixer’s whisk together with your mixer bowl and whipped cream, wrap a little rope made out of plastic wrap around the whisk axle, and hang it over the rim of the mixer bowl.  the plastic wrap covering the mixer bowl, will secure the whisk from falling in!

7 thoughts on “Coffee 12 Chiffonlets with Dulce de Leche Whipped Cream (page 334) – my take on stabilized whipped cream

1. Amy Chang says:

Thanks for your tips. I added “whip it” when I mixing the whip cream, but still not that stable. The way that you are doing is very good. Can I pipe the flower by using your way to whipped the cream? How can I add the color ? Please give me your idea, appreciated.

You mentioned that your whip cream contained dulce de leche. May I know where I can find or buy it? What is dulce de leche?

Thanks

Amy

Amy, the recipe for dulce de leche whipped cream is on page 334.

whipped cream is never going to be as stable as buttercream or ganache. it has been my observation that if you whip only till soft peak on a non-refrigerated mixer bowl, then refrigerate overnight, this soft-whip will be stable for days. then, one or two cups at a time (use as much as needed for each part of your cake): whip it stiff.

if you whip till stiff all the whipped cream needed to frost and pipe your cake, by the time you are ready to pipe, the whipped cream will be already watering down. so best to soft whip all the cream, then one or two cups at a time, whip till stiff and use right away.

applied on a cake, refrigerated, my whipped cream (with or without dulce de leche) lasts for at least 2 days without watering down. once the cake is taken to room temperature, it lasts for up to 4 hours.

2. Julie says:

Good to know that double-chilling increases stability, I had only used it to maintain a smooth texture. I find it especially helpful with keeping high-fat pasteurized cream from curdling.

Julie, i hope you try my observation. soft whip on a non-chilled mixer bowl, then refrigerate overnight. then, this is important new news: when working on your cake, stiff whip only a couple of cups at a time of soft whip whipped cream, use as needed on the different parts of the cakes. for example, stiff whip 1 cup for the filling, then 3 cups for the frosting, then finally 1 last cup for piping.

stiff whip whipped cream is a dream to pipe with, only when “freshly” whipped. once it sits, it starts to water down.

also, it has been my observation, that my whipped cream frosted cakes lasts at least 2 days refrigerated, or 4 hours room temp.

H, how does this whipped cream compared to gelatin-stablized whipped cream? As far as the stability and the piping consistency?

Also, I love your ingenious tip with the plastic wrap – I always have the issue where the whisk would fall onto the cream. No more now!

J, having no gelatin, piping was a bit smoother and you don’t have to worry about getting it too cold. i am un-sure if this “stabilized” version would last hours and hours at room temperature, but for sure days refrigerated!

one thing i noted on gelatin-stabilized whipped cream, is that if it becomes too cold and it is too stiff (too jello like) fom piping, warm it up a few seconds in the microwave and with a spatula deflate it as a way of stirring it (do not whip or it can turn into butter). it turns almost into buttercream, piping dreams.

i am a big fan of stretch-tite, so there you have it.